Pages

Monday, April 19, 2010

Day 1, Week3, Semester 3 With Many Pricks to Follow

Here we are: Day one of week 3 of semester 3. At this point, some of us are faring better than others with the work load and we each, I have no doubt, are experiencing a little bit of ‘do or die’, ‘fish or cut bait’. ‘Stitch in the ditch’.

There is no way to quit now (I never would) and I’m definitely not one to wish or ‘waste’ my days away (although, a day or two lounging on the beach would be nice right now!) but I do sometimes wish I could fast forward through some of the less glamourous things that are going to have to happen for a successful PDA 2010 Fashion Show (name to be determined forthwith!). Of course, I’m speculating but it is educated speculation.

Things like the lengthy, sure-to-be bleary-eyed sewing sessions, the pin pricks (they never get old!), the late nights, and worse, the early mornings. Not to mention the bouts of surging anxiety (it cuts while it sews a gazillion stitches a second!), the steam burns, the stitches to be ripped (It’s almost as though I have never met a line of stitches that I didn’t want to rip out!), the eraser shavings that get everywhere (that may just be me…the pencil never does what I want it to do!), the dwindling supplies and squeaky broke bank accounts. Add to the mix the fraying edges, the bobbins to be treaded (not a typo), the invisible zippers to be put in, the sleeves to be forced in and the lining to be lined up and the occasional broken needle might just set one of us normally mild-mannered polite young ladies (!) into full freak-out mode! Oh and there’s the stairs…oh the stairs (I’ve never counted but some mornings it feels like there’s at least 150-200)!

(The above list is in no way exhaustive and I encourage my fellow sufferers/style mavens to add to it in the comments section).

I posted this because while all of the above may loom large before me/us (especially the pin pricks…@#$%!), I just wanted to say to all those who may hear me complain over the next couple of months that despite all of the mini-tortures described above, I'm still excited to get up every morning because each @#$%ing prick of the pin into my fingertip brings me one step closer to my first fashion show. Clothes I designed and made myself, walking down the runway, music blasting and people gasping (it’s my blog…I can dream if I want to!). What a fabulous end result!*

Now…I need to decide what I’m sending down said runway. I’m having a tough time with that!

Ciao Bellas!

*I must say here first, in writing (I’ve said it out loud many times), that I do not want to follow that fabulous Frozen Laundry chick and her band of merry freaks…I just can’t compete… ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment